VISION: I acknowledge that I am part of a team of Virginia Beach United Methodist Church that is seeking to equip people to live with passion, power and purpose through our faith in Jesus Christ. I am an integral part of how that mission is projected through my attitude, my service and my daily tasks. I will complete my ministry duties in such a way that helps others at VBUMC to deepen passion through prayer and worship, develop power through study and small group involvement and demonstrate purpose through giving, serving and faith sharing.
ORGANIZATIONAL PURPOSE: The Seaside Assistant Teacher is responsible for emulating Christ through his or her actions as he or she assists in implementing lesson plans and activities covering self-help, motor, social, cognitive, spiritual and language skills development. The assistant teacher is responsible to help with the day to day running of the classroom. Further responsibilities include supporting the family in encountering the living Christ, interacting with each child in a loving way, and assisting each child in embracing Christ through bible stories, lessons and songs.
- Assists the lead teacher in implementing individual and group activities to stimulate growth in language, social and motor skills.
- Treats all children with the same love and care while ensuring the safety and well-being of all children entrusted to the care of the church
- Helps children develop habits of self-care (dressing self, putting toys away, cleaning up spills)
- Keeps accurate records of observation and progress of each child.
- Aides the lead teacher in implementing classroom disciplines.
- Assists music teacher during music and volunteer reader during library time.
- Attends all staff meetings and trainings.
- Takes a training course in CPR and First Aid for children and infants.
- Follows all policies in the Seaside Program Policies Packet
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Seaside Director or Children’s Ministry Director.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Be of good character and be of Christian faith. (Dependable, honest and responsible).
- Physically, mentally, and emotionally healthy.
- Have experience helping with the day to day running of the classroom, to include assisting in all activities that take place in the classroom, field trips or during recreation time.
- Adaptive to a variety of situations and participate in periodic training events.
- Have a Christian loving attitude toward others, especially children and parents.
- Willing to socialize and interact with the children by sharing bible stories, lessons and songs.
- College Degree preferred