VBUMC is currently seeking an experienced Executive Director to serve as the chief operating officer of the church under the direction of the Senior Pastor. This position has specific responsibilities in the areas of planning, supervision, administration, and support of lay leadership. VBUMC is located at 19th Street which is one block from the Atlantic Ocean in the resort city of Virginia Beach. Our unique setting provides an opportunity for our 700 plus members to serve Christ with passion, power, and purpose.
The Executive Director will work closely with the Senior Pastor, Church Leadership Council, the Board of Trustees, the Finance Committee, Staff Parish Relations Committee and the Director of Business Operations in the development of budgets, planning for revenue and expenditures, and plans for facilities and maintenance, ultimately ensuring that business is conducted in accordance with the Book of Discipline of the United Methodist Church. The Executive Director is responsible overall management and support of VBUMC staff including administrative and ministry personnel. This includes conducting annual performance reviews, developing a system of staff development appropriate to the church vision and goals, and ensuring a culture of accountability and stewardship in the allocation of staff time and resources. Administratively the Executive Director assures compliance with the Department of Labor regulations, church personnel policies and procedures, and operations policies and procedures. The Executive Director serves as the staff liaison and as a managerial resource for all administrative committees of the church.
Qualifications, Education and Experience
- B.S./B.A. in business or related field required; M.S./M.B.A. desired
- Five years paid experience in a leadership/managerial position in a large church or business required
- A proven ability to lead, motivate, and mentor others
- Solid grounding in Scripture; evidence of a vital and growing relationship with Jesus Christ
- Ability to manage time and schedules well and to meet deadlines consistently
- Leadership style that is people-focused, results-oriented, and adaptable
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Leadership skills required to lead/oversee multiple diverse ministries simultaneously
- Ability to develop and monitor budgets and financial resources
- Working knowledge of Planning Center Online, Shelby, MS Office Suite preferred
- Knowledge of the United Methodist Church structure and operation preferred