HISTORY

1911:  a little band of worshipers met in Galilee Episcopal Chapel at 18th Street and Oceanfront. 
1912:  property was purchased for $350.00.
1915:  the first church was dedicated with 50 members.
1948:  the educational building was added.
1952:  the first church was razed and the cornerstone for a new building was laid.
1959:   more property was purchased to make room for a larger educational building and fellowship hall with kitchen.
1980: plans were developed for the new construction of a larger church.
1984:  the first worship service was held in the new sanctuary. The 1952 sanctuary was converted into office space and classrooms.
1985: work was begun on the installation of the church’s first pipe organ and approval was given to improve the kitchen.
1986:  the new kitchen was completed.
1997: adjacent Night club on Pacific Avenue was purchased to greatly expand our Urban Ministries program.
1999:  the 1952 sanctuary structure and the little chapel were demolished to make room for the new three-story addition.  This facility accommodates  classrooms and most staff offices, a children’s multipurpose room, a state-of-the-art music department, a nursery, a conference room, workrooms, and a small chapel.
2014:  Second Century Committee was formed and investigated the need for building maintenance, improvements and expansions.
2017: a new North Wing is needed, a Capital Campaign was conducted, and plans are being made to tear down and rebuild the North wing.  Some improvements will also be made to the South Wing to make the space for functional and safe for our Youth and Children. 

Spread the love
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •