Giving FAQ

Why do I need to return an estimate of giving card?

There are two reasons why it is important that every member of our church family return an estimate of giving card. First, the process of prayerfully asking God to guide your decision and then making a commitment to serve the Lord with your financial gifts is an act of worship, an expression of gratitude, and praise to God (2 Corinthians 9:;5-8). Second, and on a more practical note, your commitment allows our church to budget and better plan for our ministries, key objectives, and mission outreach. An estimate of giving form is included in the Faith in Action brochure, which is available in the pew racks or at the Welcome Desk. You may complete it at any time during the year. The estimate will remain in effect until you change it.

Why do I need to make a new commitment each year?

Financial situations change from year to year, and if we are growing in our faith, our annual commitment should likewise reflect that giving growth. Each year our church budget is based upon the growing commitments of our congregation.

May I change the amount of my pledge if my life circumstances have changed?

Absolutely. Occasionally, circumstances change that require pledge amounts be increased or decreased. Simply complete and date a new estimate of giving form, which is found in the Faith in Action brochure, available in the pew racks or at the Welcome Desk. Please also be aware that donations of goods and services are always appreciated and are recognized. Please contact the Church Administrator for more information. Don’t let your inability to give at this time keep you from worship. Also, be sure to let our pastoral staff know of your situation so they can pray for and support you during any difficulty.

Who knows what I pledge and how much I give to Virginia Beach United Methodist Church?

Your pledge and contributions are confidential and are known only to the Church Administrator and Assistant Business Administrator. Each week’s receipts are handled by tellers (specially-selected church members) who do not have access to individual summaries or pledge information. Even the pastors are not privy to this confidential information.

I lost my church envelopes. Should I request more?

YES! Envelopes ensure an accurate accounting for both your personal records and also for tax purposes. This information is provided on your Statement of Giving. Contact the church office for replacement envelopes.

How can I donate to specific programs at church? How is that noted on my record of giving and how is the ministry notified of my gift?

You may donate to specific ministries or programs by either making a notation on your check or communicating your desire to the Church Administrator. Ministry area leaders are made aware of special gifts. In many cases, special gifts are recognized by the individual recipients. You will receive notification of your special gifts on your Statement of Giving. Please contact the Church Administrator with questions or concerns.

What formula is used to determine how much our local church is required to give in support to the district, state, and United Methodist Church?

Local churches contribute to the United Methodist Church through an apportionment system based on size, participation in worship, debt, and ability to respond its share in support. This support enables local churches to contribute to greater works and wider ministries.

Which missionaries does Virginia Beach United Methodist Church support and how is that money supplied to them?

Churches develop individual relationships with missionaries and ministries as approved by the Church Leadership Council. United Methodist churches also participate through the United Methodist Church’s Board of Global Ministries. Churches may support individual missionaries or many ministries and missionaries through the Board of Global Ministries (or a combination of both).

What is required for me to receive a receipt for a taxable donation if I donate materials or equipment to the church?

Donations of goods and services are always appreciated. If you desire a receipt for a donation, please contact the Assistant Business Administrator, Randy Gillan at 757-428-7727 ext. 223